November 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM
Plan your own beach picnic with friends:
• Line the bottom of your picnic basket with a towel or plastic to catch any spillage along the way.
• Bring your towel, togs, sunscreen, insect repellent and extra clothing layers, along with your beach toys:
Frisbee, cricket set, snorkeling gear, surfboards, bodyboards and music.
• Choose a scenic and wind-resistant venue for your picnic. Try a place between two rock faces or farther from the water than you'd usually like to sit.
• Although beach parties are generally informal, you may send invitations a week or two in advance so guests can plan ahead.
• Plan a menu based on the amount of people and the load you can carry. Ask friends to bring certain items to lighten your responsibilities and your load.
• Outfit yourself with the necessary equipment. A picnic basket filled with plates, utensils, cups, plastic containers and napkins. Pack rubbish bags to carry away the garbage.
• Pack your food. Place the heavier items on the bottom and lighter ones on the top.
• Remember to bring a hat and/or an umbrella to shade your perishables and your face from the hot sun. Also pack plenty of ice, which you'll need to keep your food chilled.
• Toss in a blanket and/or folding chairs for your sitting and dining comfort.
Some recipe ideas:
- Mini Blueberry Polenta Cakes
- Tomato Relish – serve with some water crackers
- Honey Maple Energy Bars
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- Double Chocolate Biscuits
- Nellies Louise Cake