1. Line a 20cm square cake tin with plastic wrap. Peel pears. Remove cores. Weigh pear flesh. You will need 1kg of flesh.
2. Place pears in a blender and process to a smooth puree.
3. Place puree, lemon juice, Chelsea Jam Setting Sugar, cloves and cinnamon in a large wide heavy based saucepan. Cook, stirring over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down). Boil, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until mixture thickens to paste and darkens in colour. Remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
4. Pour mixture into prepared tin. Smooth surface. Set aside overnight at room temperature to allow mixture to set firmly.
5. To serve, take paste out of tin. Remove plastic. Cut into serving pieces.
STORAGE TIP - Paste will keep for 3 months, wrapped in plastic wrap, stored in the fridge.
TIP – you can spoon mixture into plastic lined holes of a muffin tray to create cute little rounds of paste, perfect for cheese platters.