Belgian Biscuit Cake
By Trudy Basire12 servings
Prep time 20 mins
Cooking time 40 mins
175g softened butter
¾ cup Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1tsp ground Cinnamon
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cocoa (the best quality you can afford)
1. Cream butter and Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar until light and fluffy.
2. In a separate bowl beat the eggs until thick.
3. In a third bowl, sieve together the dry ingredients
4. To the butter and sugar mixture alternatively add the wet and dry ingredients, combining well.
5. Place the mixture in a greased ROUND cake tin and cook at 180oC until cooked – top will spring back when cooked – approximately 40 minutes.
6. Leave in tin for 5 minutes before turning out to cool.
7. Once cool, cut the cake in half.
8. To the bottom half spread over a good covering of raspberry jam.
9. Place the top layer of the cake on top of the bottom layer.
10. Ice with Chelsea Berry Flavoured Icing Sugar, add extra raspberry flavouring and sprinkle over raspberry jelly crystals to decorate.