Lemon Syrup Cake
By Chelsea Sugar8 servings
Prep time 15 mins
Cooking time 45 mins
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
200g Chelsea Caster Sugar
150ml soured cream
grated rind of 1 large lemon
4 Tbsp lemon juice
150ml sunflower oil
4 Tbsp Chelsea Icing Sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Lightly grease a round loose-bottom tin.
2. Sieve the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir in the Chelsea Caster Sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, soured cream, lemon rind, lemon juice and oil together.
4 Combined the egg mixture with the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C; for 45-60 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, to make the syrup, mix together the Chelsea Icing Sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan. Stir over a low heat until it just begins to bubble and turn syrupy.
7. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, prick the surface with a fine skewer, then brush the syrup over the top.
8. Serve with fresh cream or ice-cream.
Pricking the surface of the hot cake with a skewer ensures that the syrup seeps right into the cake and the full flavour is absorbed.